The Civil Justice Association of California (CJAC) requests proposals from lawyers or firms with an appellate specialty to serve as contract appellate counsel to oversee and support CJAC’s amicus program.
Founded in 1979, CJAC is California’s premier legal reform advocacy organization with a mission to fight excessive and abusive civil litigation on behalf of businesses in the legislature, regulatory arena, and the courts. We are a non-partisan, nonprofit, member-based organization governed by a board of directors. Our membership consists of businesses and associations from a variety of industries.
CJAC’s long-standing amicus program has helped produce important decisions over the years, ensuring the business voice is represented in significant civil liability and procedure cases.
- The Appellate Counsel will oversee and manage CJAC’s amicus program efforts, including:
- Chair and serve on a group of outside appellate lawyers (CJAC Amicus Panel) who meet bi-monthly to review and provide input on potential cases in which CJAC should engage and collectively draft 12-14 amicus briefs a year on behalf of CJAC.
- Review and edit amicus briefs drafted by outside counsel to align with CJAC’s mission and brand.
- Provide primary drafting of letter briefs (such as in support of review, publication, or depublication) and merit amicus briefs as needed.
- Provide recommendations and insights on key cases to the CJAC Board appellate committee at bi-monthly video conference meetings.
- Liaise with CJAC members, partner organizations, and counsel regarding amicus activity.
- Provide oral report of pending amicus cases at 2-3 CJAC board meetings per year.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Admitted to practice law in California.
- Appellate practice experience of 5+ years.
- Experience in matters that advance CJAC’s above-stated mission.
- Well-connected with other appellate counsel.
- Federal or state appellate court clerkship experience a plus.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Top academic credentials.
- Monthly retainer of $3,000-$5,000, exclusive of primary drafting of amicus briefs.
- Primary drafting of amicus briefs to be paid in addition to retainer at a flat rate.
- Responsive proposals should include proposed monthly retainer and billing rates for primary drafting according to following categories: letter briefs, merit briefs in intermediate appellate courts (CA and U.S.), and merit briefs in supreme courts (CA and U.S.).
- Submit proposal describing qualifications, proposed billing rates, and curriculum vitae to email@example.com with the subject line Contract Appellate Counsel – [Applicant’s Name].
- Application deadline: November 1, 2023.
Click below to download this position post.
For more information about CJAC’s amicus program, visit cjac.org/appellate-center.